Sunday, April 25, 2010

This Could Be Interesting... Get Rid of Old Electronics, Save Clutter, Be Green & Maybe Get Some (Green) In Return?

Okay- it's Sunday morning and I'm feeling antsy. I sometimes wake-up and say to myself- "how did I get all this crap?"

No, I don't live like those people you see on American Pickers, or Hoarders (or whatever they call that show...) but every year I feel I'm a few square-feet more closer to becoming one.

I'm talking about clutter- the crap you amass without even knowing it. Sure, you can claim you're a "collector," but how often times are you really? Just what is it are you collecting?

I think it's more about what you're holding-on to...

Not to get too personal here- but I have a few friends who are hoarders. They're a product of their upbringing, their environment. More often-times-than-not, they've suffered a tragic or traumatic experience that has led them to saving every, and I mean every little thing, bauble, trinket... piece of paper, you name it- they have it.

You get the idea. It's a disease, plain and simple.

But what to do with all this shit isn't always and plain nor simple- something has to be done, right?

So when I read this article on Yahoo! (part of their "living green" section) it got me thinking- I should be thinning out.

Yeah, they claim there are companies buying old electronics- but really- how old are we talking here?

Sure, they may want to buy my now going on three-year-old iPhone, but do they want the Sanyo "brick" (in mass and size) I had as my first cell phone, in 1999?

Or, what about the Sanyo "Snickers Bar" as it was often referred to as- the phone that replaced the aforementioned "brick."

What about my collection of Motorola StarTacs- their chargers- and all the leatherette accessories that went with them.

(God, what were we thinking?- I guess what they can't give you money for- you're better-off just recycling it and being "green" anyway.)

They may want a crack at my collection of used Apple iPods- I have many... I even have the very first one- but stupid me threw-out the original box and papers when I was cleaning out my parent's basement.

Somethings, I'm convinced, will be worth money to someone one day- but to hold-on to that something till someday never comes is plain stupid. If you're into it, fine... If you're not- get rid of it!

So, unless you're a "collector," (and be sure you know what it is you're collecting) get it out of the house! And unless your successors also have a knowledge and passion for what it is you have- that value you're seeking to preserve is going to be cleaned-out at wholesale prices to others who will be reaping the rewards when you go.

Which leads me to my last collector hint- make sure you have a close loved one with the time and knowledge (and passion) for getting you out of your crap when you're no longer with us... It's criminal what I've seen in the collector world, what some of these dealers (be it antiques, jewelery, watches... collectibles, whatever...) offer the successors of diseased loved ones who don't know any better.

To them, it's a business and it's just stuff. To me, it's predatory. Knowledge is key here- if you're a collector- set-up a will, set-up instructions, trust somebody to liquidate your estate who has your survivors in mind.

Some last final pearls here- buy a filing cabinet- put your important documents in them. Throw-out most everything else- especially junk mail with coupons or offers for crap you never buy- out. Never think your life is going to change because you're holding on to some crap piece of paper.

Set-up for online billing and pay. Throw-out old magazines- you're never going to read or look at again... (I too am guilty of this...) An old professor of mine used to read magazines and literally rip-out the pages as he read them- according to him "why do I need them? I already read them..."

It is just stuff- and sometimes- you think you're saving something but really- you're better-off just not holding on to it. You just have to let it go and hope to reward yourself with less- and more free space to maybe dance around or worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment