Tuesday, April 20, 2010

40 Years of Sebago Docksides... It's a Big Deal and a Good Product!

I have to laugh- everything has a magazine these days- a lifestyle magazine. (No, I'm not talking about THAT lifestyle, that's THE lifestyle and that's a conversation for another blog...) Having worked for enough of them- I'll attest- there's good content but really- they're just a collection of really nice ads and glossy, colorful paper... and they make a big deal over everything. That's sales...

So walking out of a shoe store in Red Bank, I came across the Sebago magazine- on the cover- a pair of limited edition Sebago Docksides- evidently, they're celebrating 40 years of the Sebago Dockside. Is this a big deal?

I took it and shook my head- what the heck? They're not even the original boat shoe- that title goes to the Sperry Top-Sider; which, looking down from outer-space is the same shoe, or same type-shoe favored by boating enthusiasts, preps and corporate casual people too lazy to tie their shoes in the summer- that was me.

(I'm convinced the boat shoes I wore to work pissed-off the morons in the office- not only did they not know what the hell a boat shoe was... They didn't know anyone who would wear one- I mean, after all, you're not supposed to wear shoes in the water- and boats float, right? Marvelous collection of idiots I worked around- believe me...)

My father is a maven when it comes to a lot of things- he's very impressionable and I think as a young man- he was very impressed with things like style, fashion, trend, good taste, quality... He has a lot of clothes for man, and invariably a lot of shoes as well- I try to take him along when I shop- he's certainly a man you want to imitate if you have the means.

(For the record- I wish I was his size- because all kidding aside- I'd never need another pair of shoes in my life. But anyway...)

Shopping with my father one day, I picked up a pair of Sebago (the said Docksides) boat shoes- those moccasin-type, two-holed leather shoes with the rawhide lacing that runs along the outside- like rigging on a sailboat. They also have these neat rubber soles that appear flat and unadorned but once you bend them- micro-sized grooves and cuts appear. But more on that later.
"They're not the original... but they're good..." my father gave with an enthusiastic nod. So- for- I really can't remember how much- they were cheap- maybe $50 on closeout sale? I bought them- three years ago.

Suffice to say- they haven't left my feet since.

I wore them to work, I wear them on the weekends- I may have even done some lewd, unsavory things in them- I don't know- but it's a great shoe and accessory and I don't know too many things that you can do all that- and still wear them with a sport jacket and tie at the yacht club- if you're so inclined, and lucky, of course.

And they pissed-off the people at work- I know they did- so I loved them.

SO- I'm in love with my Sebago Docksides- and after having done some research on the company and the shoe- shockingly- it's a big deal. As the Sebago lifestyle magazine too- will have you thinking.

There's even an article- written by Street Etiquette- on "The Battle of the Boat Shoes" which I found amusing- and amusing to the fact that I'm not the only one who writes about this crap.

But the boat shoe has an interesting genesis- some guy named Sperry in 1935 marveled how his dog ran over ice and slippery surfaces- so he took a pen knife to the soles of some shoes- and cut grooves in them- resembling the cuts found on the undersides of his dog's paws.

Alas- the Sperry Top-Sider with the grooved soles was born- and it's a functional, casual classic.

Meanwhile circa 1946, the also New England-based Sebago didn't originally make boat shoes- but rather Sabago-Moc (as it was known prior) were famous for their loafers, moccasin style, handmade penny-loafers- they also made shoes for and under the Uniroyal brand as I read... They made a good shoe, and in 1970- they introduced their bid to the boat shoe wearing elite- the Dockside.

Typically slightly more expensive than the Sperry- but visually about the same (okay- maybe the Sebago is a little bit more, I dunno, "better" if you want to perceive better with spending more money?) the Dockside is, in my opinion the better over the Sperry. And I have them, so, they're better... But they are comfortable- and they so closely resemble the iconic Sperry- you're just a Chris-Craft and a good head of hair away from On Golden Pond or whatever Polo ad you aspire to.

They go great with chinos and jeans, and shorts... I've worn them in deep snow too- which is like driving a convertible in the rain with the top-down if you ask me- but that's not the shoe's fault- that's my own stupidity.

They're even coming out with special edition and boutique branded Sebago Docksides- for those inclined to differentiate themselves just a little bit more- and spend more money. Don't be surprised if Kanye West is already "rocking" a pair... Or whatever the hell he does.

So, if you have the time- and need a pair of good, versatile, comfortable, do-every and anything shoes- look into and buy a pair of Sebago Docksides- they're a Good Product! For around $100 retail- it's cheap too- as far as timeless classics go.

No comments:

Post a Comment