Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Car Guy Gets It- But He's Not Buying It

I love being an American... For better or worse- it's the only way to be.

Being a Patriot- I support the American car industry and the American way too. Okay- how well do I support it? Evidently not well enough- I have two cars- one's German, the other Japanese- but it's made in Indiana- and it doesn't get any more American than that.

Shit, I sold American cars- which entitles me say I support it- even if I'm not buying it.

While I want to believe it- I really can't- The Associated Press GfK Poll came out yesterday, and while I read it- I wasn't buying it.

(Evidently I'm not buying American either... There- I'll admit it again...)

Okay- it doesn't take an MBA to know- don't read everything, and certainly don't believe everything that you read. So what- a poll- poll a bunch of ants and they'll indicate to eat shit- doesn't make it right.

With polling- there's a sample- and to be quite honest- you don't know how reliable the sample is... And believe me- if they want to skew the figures to read one way or the other- they will- that's the media, that's sales, and that very-well-be America.

So, while I think America makes a decent car depending on where you look- I don't think people are more totally sold on them, more than the Asian imports.

Sure, Toyota's woes these last few months don't help matters- but look at when they took this poll- in early March- right when Toyota was in the thick of it.

I know, I was writing about it.

And what's a 1,002 adults know anyway? I drove to the park today and passed more than a thousand cars- and guess what- if I payed attention- a minority were American.

Most car guys, no matter how patriotic- "if you don't want no problems"- a Japanese Honda, Toyota and or Nissan and the like is still the way to go. I also think Hyundais are fantastic- Korean- who knew?!

That's not to say they make a better car- but I still think most people are still a little weary on American cars- no matter how good they are. And they are good!

They can be great- but we'll know in another ten to twenty years how good they; we really are.

Until then- buy what you like- no matter what anyone tells you. You're paying for it- and it doesn't get anymore American than that.

http://www.ap-gfkpoll.com/ If you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment