Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Paper-Rich, Cash-Poor & Just Plain Stupid...


I've been meaning to write about this for a while in my somewhat defunct "Good Product" section- PayPal.

For as much as I can't stand their fees, and the virtual monopoly they've become intertwined with eBay (try buying or selling anything without using them) I must and will attest- if you ever have a problem, a question or if you just need someone to talk to (believe me, this is an invaluable thing to have...) PayPal is the company!

You e-mail them- they give you a PIN number- you call the toll-free number and punch-in the PIN- and viola- someone with a pulse answers the call.

Now, tell me an institution that is so forthright in actually talking to you today. That's progress.

Try getting in touch with the parent company eBay- and see what happens. You have a better chance of talking to dead Elvis. Not skinny or fat Elvis. The dead one.

But what's prompting me to write about this? Came across an interesting article about a PayPal founder, and Tesla pioneer- Elon Musk. He's a car guy who gets it too- even if you do like electric cars- which this car guy does not!

Evidently he's broke... or that's what the article would have you thinking. Again, a moron would believe or think he's broke.

The other day, someone asked me as we were passing some posh estates in tony, old-money Saddle River, NJ- "do you think these people feel the bad economy...." and you have to be a total idiot to 1.) count other people's money but 2.) it doesn't take an MBA to know- yeah they feel it... But they're still living in a bigger house than you are.

Sure, divorce sucks- especially if you have children- but not all the money in the world- or a couple hundred million dollars can keep you in the same room married with that special someone, well... You just have to do it. Bankrupt, bust or not.

Is your ex worth it? Again, not my problem- but as for Elon Musk being broke... I'll never forget MC Hammer when he was on Oprah years ago... he put it best "you should all be broke like me..." I can't remember if it was fat Oprah or skinny Oprah- but it was the paid Oprah who brought this to light- we should all be broke like Elon Musk.

Beyond having money- people like Elon Musk can always make money- they have the name, the reputation and the good-credit to do so. And they have the right friends.

Try making money with no friends- see how long you keep it.

Ironically too, I have a fellow car-guy friend and personal mentor who mentions to me that I should get back into the car business- but not in the traditional, old model- the "new" model companies like Tesla are hinting...

Dealership-less distribution, a zero-emissions, environmentally friendly "performance" cars- well... You can keep it all. I'll stick with the "old" model- after all- have you ever met a broke dealer principal? I haven't.

My friend even mentioned that I should reach-out to Elon Musk himself... But somehow, I believe- he's got other things on his mind these days.

On another note- did you know what musk is? Before it was synonymous with the said Silicon Valley wiz- it's a secretion that comes from the ass-rectal area of a deer...

Well- Musk is certainly still more than just "a pimple on the asshole of progress..." too bad his ex-wife certainly needs more convincing otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment