Saturday, November 27, 2010

He Ain't Heavy... It's My Country



Happy Holidays everyone...

Early Black Friday found me recovering from Thanksgiving. I couldn't sleep. Not sleeping in my old bedroom at my parent's house- found me flipping through basic cable (living with an HD Silver Package- I rarely catch commercials on TV) and I caught the tail-end of the new, General Motors commercial "We All Fall Down," a montage of clips depicting failure and eventual triumph. I've even heard this commercial being referred to as the "Comeback Commercial," or the "Thanksgiving Giving Thanks Commercial."

NASA, Popeye, Animal House, Evil Knievel, a boxer and President Truman- all were represented seamlessly, with the instrumentals of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother," a ballad first made popular by The Hollies. No spoken words, just a few written lines.

Now I'm really not a very political person. I don't spend my time acting the pundit, complaining, speculating about my country, or it's (in my opinion) slightly sorry economic and political condition. Nor will I bore you with speculations of "doom and gloom." It's just not productive.

Speculation is largely dishonorable and highly egocentric. And in the end- you're left with no real answers.

Watching the commercial which included a clip of Animal House's Brother Bluto (played by the late John Belushi) ranting about how "when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor..." (the Germans?)

Let me also quote another line from the personal favorite movie- "you fucked up... you trusted us..."

So, we all know GM has had its failures. But then again, so have we all to some extent. We all, er, f-up.

It doesn't take a Car Guy to tell you- GM and America- isn't going away; no, not anytime soon.

One thing we Americans like is a story. We love dramatics. We do it well. We're an emotional bunch. A sentimental bunch- in the right or in the wrong. That's why this commercial is so great. We love a comeback.

There's a movie playing (on premium cable) called "Away We Go," a comedy about a young pregnant couple searching the country for a place to settle- a place to call home. In the movie- a character lamented talking politics "well, if we're shit [the U.S.] everyone else is just flies on our shit... right?"

To me, that's a very clever line... despite the questionable metaphor, it's about right.

Sure, we may prop-up our failures, tell you of tales of triumph- and that's sales. We polish our turds and make them smell like roses. But there's a fair bit of truth behind the story; we can just hope there's a glimmer of truth, a real wind-up to the pitch.

If anything, it makes for great sentiment. From the country that pretty much invented... well, the whole damn thing.

Anyone else who feels differently- should go find another home, or go back to shit hole they crawled out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment