Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Excitement, Fall & Truth Behind Pontiac


Some blog right? It's been the better part of a month with no posts - and while the world of cars is as perpetual and ever-changing as time itself- truth be known- a lot of it... is just spin. While I can appreciate spinning wheels- my intentions and talents however terse or infrequent they may be- is just not to spin your wheels- I actually like to add something totally unique and insightful once in a while.

And I hope you can appreciate that.

I still read a lot about cars where I can- and while its hard for me to read about something car related and just re-verb-it and claim it as my own- as many automotive journalists do, and do popularly- its just not productive, nor is it profitable (at least its not for me anyway!)

But... Sunday I caught some news that Pontiac had finally closed its doors. I've heard it, written about it and known it for like a year now; but October 31, Halloween was the final, official day. Funny, how I didn't think they had a day in mind, but rather- I thought they'd just let it go... "let sleeping dogs lie" and lay where they are- I mean, no use drawing sad news to yourself after 84 years.

The web was lit-up with images of the scalloped, split-grill of a GTO- how the once mighty image of the American performance-era was officially off-the-shelves, recalling the once bright, fast and dueling brand- Pontiac.

I thought of my grandfather, my father's father who "drove Pontiacs..." Not because "he liked them" (as another family elder once thought and told me), no- he drove them because that's what he could afford- and what was around in the used car lot. (When he bought his first new car in 1968- it was an Oldsmobile... of course, another now-dead brand...)

I then thought of my father who struggled on Friday nights, and prayed that the botched-up, heavily modified and abused '59 Bonneville his father let him borrow would start and run- just enough so he could make it home from a date... (I mention it was modified- because when he wasn't complaining of its inability to start reliably- he was laying rubber on the Grand Concourse and carving-up on the Saw Mill River Parkway... against his buddy's then-new '64 GTO... and winning too, I may add...)

I thought of my friend Fred, who for his 16th birthday got a brand-new 1965 GTO... and drove it for years both Stateside and overseas while stationed in Germany. (I have to laugh when I think how strange that car must have looked, the American car with the Italian name- cruising along the Autobahn- among Volkswagens and Mercedes-Benzes...)

I also thought of my other grandfather, my mother's father the eternal "Buick man" who bought a metallic blue Catalina- because my father told him to- anything but another Buick... (and he never, ever did buy that Cadillac my grandmother always wanted- economics aside, I like to think he didn't want to give her the shallow satisfaction...)

I also thought of Knight Rider, and the Firebird Formula V8 I kinda-sorta-wanted in middle school too, of course.

But the articles I was reading- gave a myriad of reasons why Pontiac failed. They blamed the economy, they blamed GM and the American public... They even got a retired GM engineer to testify- that the reason why Pontiac failed was, (and I'm paraphrasing now) they "didn't let the Pontiac engineers do their thing;" in-other-words General Motors went "all corporate" and instead of "Building Excitement," they built a re-badged Chevrolet or, whatever. And he's right... to a point.

They did a lot of pointing fingers as to what blunders, people, car models and such- caused the demise- and yeah- the Pontiac Aztec wasn't a winner, and yes- the G5 was a Chevy Cobalt with nicer wheels- true- but you can't kill a brand with a handful of bad cars.

Every car company has its lists of winners and losers- but much like a person who is down on his luck- or a small business that is forced to close its doors- sometimes its not the exact decision or event(s), or the actions- it just is. Its just not meant to be- for forces greater than anyone or thing, or any-one-thing could expect. It's a number of things.

There's a lot of reasons why Pontiac is no-longer here. As a car guy, and not a shallow car guy (and most of them are) who only knows the latest and greatest BMW- I can tell you- if the economy had not taken such a dip in 2008- and if GM had not gone bankrupt... You'd still have Pontiac. It's a brand- it had a heritage- and while it may have been a shell of its former self for quite a while- it was surely a great brand platform that could have been developed more if given the time- and money, too of course.

Heck- if it wasn't for China's love affair with the Buick- and Buick's quite successful transformation from being the "conservative solid choice" to being the literal shadow of a Lexus- Buick would have been axed too.

The God's honest truth is- towards the end- GM had really been making strides to try to improve the Pontiac image, and bringing something unique to the fold- case-in-point- the G8.

As a Bonneville replacement- it was sporty, real-wheel-drive, had the handling of a BMW (quite literally- the engineers who did the suspension and brakes worked for BMW at one point and designed the late-1990s 5-Series) and the edgy, modern-day looks of (I dunno) a Cadillac?

You really can't blame looks- that's too subjective. I mean, lets be honest- are there many, truly good-looking mainstream production cars being made today? Not really... Sure, Pontiacs were ugly towards the end- but then again- so was and is everything else...

But if you think about it- if Pontiac had stuck-it-out, they would have brought back the Firebird and Trans-Am with the Chevrolet Camaro... And it would have done okay against other retro performance cars- such as the Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger.

What if they really brought back the GTO? And not just a re-badged Holden?

I know, I know... You can't bring back an entire brand based-off two or three retro throwbacks- but... it would have been enough to get it by for a little while- it would have brought some buzz.

The devastating truth is- the shrinking middle class in America, or should I say, the shrinking perception the middle class has of itself in America- just couldn't support the Pontiac niche.

Middle America has moved-on-up into Cadillacs or down into Chevrolets- there's not much else left in the middle anymore.

The middle is driving a Toyota or a Honda... Or something else- something, and lets be totally true here- that did performance and "Excitement" better than Pontiac.

For instance- the Solstice was a great little roadster- it just didn't tickle the fancy of enthusiasts quite like the Mazda MX-5. Close- but no cigar or smoking tailpipe.

The macro-truth is- middle America, which is what Pontiac had thrived-on for decades- doesn't have the confidence, the faith nor the belief in the American car like it once did.

Yeah, people still lust after Corvettes and Cadillacs- but tastes (and images) have largely shifted gears... forever. They'll never be as they were. And the recipe is not as simple as wedging the bigger engine from a Bonneville into a smaller, lighter Tempest.

And in marketing (and business too) unless you're able to meet that niche at that exact point-in-time- you're going to waiver and fail. You either have it- or you don't- there's little chance of catching-up.

While Pontiac had it in spades for so, so long; a performance image that lasted from the late-50's through the 1960's up until (I think anyway) the 1980's- their ultimate incarnations came-up- just so-so.

Like I said before- I still read a lot about cars and write about them where I can- but like Pontiac building and marketing cars, sometimes its just not productive, nor is it profitable to do so.

In the end- you just hope the people remember. And smile.

Pontiac- they don't make them like they used to... They just don't "Build Excitement" like that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment