Friday, August 6, 2010

My Hero Don Draper Wears...


An incorrect Rolex... In Season Three (or Two?), Mad Men's top ad-man got a Cadillac- in Season Four it's become very apparent that the quiet Midwesterner wears... a Rolex watch?

For a television show, so scrutinized on a weekly basis for its accuracy to the period- I'm a bit shocked at this... Don Draper, wearing a 36mm, no-date Oyster Perpetual, most probably an Explorer I Ref. 1016?

Not that I don't like the watch- I just don't think its, well... accurate. The Cadillac yes, the Rolex Explorer, the acclaimed watch worn during the first climb to the top of Mt. Everest? Not so much...

While I clearly wasn't around, I will contest- no man, let alone an ad-man from 1960's Westchester County, NY knew what-the-hell a Rolex watch was in (what is now) 1964, Season Four, of AMC's Mad Men.

A Bulova Accutron or an Omega maybe. But a Rolex? Not very likely.

Truth-be-known, a Rolex really wasn't half the watch a period Omega was back then- the Rolex, in my opinion didn't reach its popularity in mainstream America till the 1970's... That's when it, the Rolex, got famous... In the 1980's, well, it got infamous... And the rest is history, for better or worse.

In an entertainment industry that is laden with product placement, endorsements and the like- I doubt the Rolex is anything more than Jon Hamm's own personal watch...

I'm not the only one speculating on Don Draper's stupid watch, many other, more popular publications and blogs have been speculating for years...

While some have claimed a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso, others have maintained a Rolex Cellini of all wrist creations- depending on the season.

But speaking of product placement- I can't wait till the Seventh Season of Mad Men (at the rate this show is going- it's going to happen!) when Don trades the old Cadillac for a '68 BMW 2002- but... That, I know- would also be totally wrong...

Then again, BMW is a big sponsor of the hit series... And they'll do anything they can... well, to get you into one of their Series!

With Mad Men and television- we are talking advertising after all, right?

5 comments:

  1. Not correct at all - Adventurers, pilots, frogmen, and special forces had all discovered Rolex in the 40's and 50's, and as a result "men in the know" started to acquire Rolex watches for less, uh, strenuous duties by the early 1960's. PIck up a copy of Ian Fleming's On Her Majesty's Secret Service, written early in the same decade, and notice the famous spy's choice of wrist watch. Yes, Rolex was well recognized by the early 60's as a robust and accurate timepiece. My uncle wore one during two tours in Vietnam as a green beret team sergeant. I wear one today as a corporate attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric! Thanks for the comment! (Sorry for the delay in response...) While your points are dutifully well-taken, and correct- I'm sticking with my feelings that not even Don Draper would have known a Rolex from his high-ball of Scotch...

    And I don't know what's tougher- your uncle in Vietnam or you... for being a corporate attorney.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does wear a Rolex Explorer, but not the old 36mm no-date Explorer I. On his wrist he has a new 2010 39mm model 214270 (worth $7000) as seen here http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/basel2010/new-explorer/explorer-39mm-photo3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly favor to reading your post. Thank you a lot for taking the time for you to share such a nice info.

    ______________________
    Arkansas used auto parts

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post on the topic of how to embed a YouTube video code is really valuable designed for fresh internet access visitors. Pleasant work, keep it up. Honda car service center in Kalyan

    ReplyDelete